Your name: Steven Lin
Where you’re from: Garden City Park, NY
Where you study: NYU
Majors and Minors: ¿Finance? & Information Systems
Three words that best describe you: I am awkward.
8 questions for Steven
1. When did you first get excited about the world of tech and entrepreneurship?
I’ve played video games for as long as I can remember so the thought of creating and developing my own game or app was and still is very interesting to me.
As for entrepreneurship, my parents used to own a store in NYC so I’ve always been interested in starting my own business and it’s why I decided to study business at NYU in the first place.
2. Why did you decide to take Horizons and what’s been your favorite part so far?
Coding was something that I really wanted to learn when I got to college. The only problem was that I hadn’t been able to find the time to fit any comp sci classes into my schedule. So, I figured that if I didn’t learn to code now, I’d never be able to do so and I’d get stuck with a job in finance after I graduate.
So far, my favorite part of Horizons would have to be the people. Knowing that others are just as confused and lost as I am is encouraging while attempting the nearly impossible exercises everyday. :’)
3. What does a successful version of you look like on graduation day? How about two years out of college?
Employed and happy!
4. Tell us what is one thing you believe is true that most people disagree with (the Peter Thiel question)…
I’m Jeremy Lin’s cousin.
5. What has been the most important turning point / realization in your life so far?
That I didn’t have to get pigeonholed into finance.
6. What motivates you to work hard every day?
So that someday I won’t have to.
7. If you were going to be famous, what would it be for?
8. What is your advice to incoming freshmen to make the most out of their time in college?
Stay in school.
Thank you for reading.
If you found value in this post, please share the love by clicking the ❤ button so more people can see it.
Horizons is a technology school that finds the most promising young people around the world and gives them all the advantages they need to launch their successful careers in tech.