Amazon is the largest online retailer in the world, and one of the world’s leading tech companies. As such, a lot of people want to work there and the competition for all positions is extremely high. This is especially true for programmers. Below is a list of some of the top interview questions at Amazon, specifically geared towards those who are looking for programming positions.
“I’d rather interview 50 people and not hire anyone than hire the wrong person.” –Jeff Bezos
Top interview questions at Amazon: Technical
- Write an efficient program for printing k largest elements in an array. Elements in array can be in any order. For example, if given array is [1, 23, 12, 9, 30, 2, 50] and you are asked for the largest 3 elements i.e., k = 3 then your program should print 50, 30 and 23.
- Given an array of integers, write a function that returns true if there is a triplet (a, b, c) that satisfies a2 + b2 = c2.
- Design a Data Structure SpecialStack that supports all the stack operations like push(), pop(), isEmpty(), isFull() and an additional operation getMin() which should return minimum element from the SpecialStack. All these operations of SpecialStack must be O(1). To implement SpecialStack, you should only use standard Stack data structure and no other data structure like arrays, list, .. etc.
- Here’s a string with numbers from 1-250 in random order, but it’s missing one number. How will you find the missed number?
- Given a Binary Tree (BT), convert it to a Doubly Linked List(DLL) In-Place. The left and right pointers in nodes are to be used as previous and next pointers respectively in converted DLL. The order of nodes in DLL must be same as Inorder of the given Binary Tree. The first node of Inorder traversal (left most node in BT) must be head node of the DLL.
Top interview questions at Amazon: Non-technical
- How would you introduce AWS in an elevator pitch?
- What is the worst mistake you ever made?
- Amazon is a peculiar company. What is peculiar about you?
- Jeff Bezos walks into your office and says you can have a million dollars to launch your best entrepreneurial idea. What is it?
- How would you solve problems if you were from Mars?
- How would you improve Amazon’s website?
- Tell me about a project that went beyond your scope of work.
- How would you tell a customer what Wi-Fi is?
- Tell me about a time you had to overstep management to get your point of view across.
- Give me an example of a time when you were 75% of the way through a project, and you had to pivot strategy–how were you able to make that into a success story?